On 22 June, the SRA hosted “Trust and the market: Building confidence”. The conference attracted more than 142 participants, reaching beyond the legal profession to regulators of other professions, government bodies, think tanks, parliamentarians and academics.
SRA Chief Executive Paul Philip talked about the balance to be struck between building confidence and public protection, and SRA General Counsel Juliet Oliver spoke about the need to focus on risk assessment of complaints rather than on a breach of technical rules.
External speakers included:
- Cordella Bart-Stewart, Black Solicitors Network
- Rob Cook, Natural England
- Rachel Fletcher, Ofgem
- Malcolm Harbour CBE
- Jonathan Kembery, City of London Law Society
- Professor Stephen Mayson, University College London
- Caroline Norman, Which?
- Anthony Omo, General Medical Council.