12 February 2019 | Cavendish Conference Centre, London
This highly topical event is being jointly organised by the Law Society of England and Wales and City & Financial Global. It will be held on 12th February 2019 in London.
UK legal services, like many other parts of the economy, will be enormously affected by Brexit. The impact will be both direct and indirect – the former through any changes in market access and future cooperation between the UK and the EU in justice matters and the latter through the implications of Brexit for the users of legal services. It is therefore critically important that all stakeholders in UK legal services – law firms, in-house legal teams, central and local government solicitors, and barristers – keep themselves fully informed about current negotiations and what Brexit will mean under the various possible scenarios.
This event will examine the implications of Brexit for the provision of legal services in different practice areas, as well as its impact on clients and any potential opportunities that may arise.
Key themes in the programme include:
- Market access: prospects for mutual access for legal services
- Strategic, organisational and HR considerations
- Continuation of civil and family justice cooperation
- Impact of Brexit on the users of legal services
- Collaboration in policing, security and criminal justice
- Legal uncertainty and continuity of contracts, including during any transitional period
- Protecting the leading role of England and Wales as the governing law of contract, jurisdiction of choice and preferred centre of arbitration
- Evaluating the new opportunities in legal services that Brexit may herald