Following the SRA’s ‘Looking to the future‘ consultation in summer 2016, they are now consulting on further changes to their Handbook and their proposed revised Enforcement Strategy. This consultation also includes the transitional arrangements for the introduction of the Solicitors Qualifying Examination (SQE).
Through the Looking to the future programme, the SRA are:
- simplifying regulations so they are clear on the professional standards they expect and what will happen when solicitors fall short of those standards
- getting rid of unnecessary bureaucracy that drives up costs or restricts access to solicitors, while making sure the right public protections remain in place
- improving the information available to help people make better choices.
You can find information on:
- what has happened with the rules in the existing Handbook, and the proposed sets of rules in the new Handbook, in annex one
- the revised Enforcement Strategy in annex two
- the SRA’s assessment of the impacts of these changes in annex three.
This consultation is running from 27 September until 20 December 2017. For full details of this consultation see the SRA’s website.