The Hague | 4-5 October 2018
Hosted by the Netherlands Bar, the 7th annual ICLR conference took place at the Hilton Hotel in the Hague on 4-5 October 2018.
The central theme of the conference was ‘Trust in Regulation’.
Trust is the key to successful regulation of legal services.
The regulator must win the trust of the clients and consumers of legal services and reassure them that it is carrying out its functions in a way that helps them to make decisions about using legal services.
The actions of the regulator must help government and anti-crime agencies to trust that confidentiality in the provision of legal services is not being used to cover up unethical or illegal behaviour.
And above all, the regulator must win the trust of the community it regulates – demonstrating that it understands the changing environment in which they operate and that it is able and willing to remove the ‘bad apples’ from the profession.
The 7th International Conference of Legal Regulators touched upon all of these topics and provided participants with the opportunity to share their experiences and reflect on how they are dealing with these issues in their own jurisdictions.
Links to the conference programme and all of the materials are available at the bottom of this page.
The following materials give more information about the conference and the themes that were touched upon:
Singapore | 5-6 October 2017
For the first time, the International Conference of Legal Regulators will be held in Asia, in the thriving metropolis of Singapore.
Singapore has a vibrant and diverse legal industry. Law firms and lawyers from all over the world have a base in the city-state, adding to its cultural melting pot. As an international legal services hub, the Singapore experience is one that looks both east and west. As the regulatory environment continues to evolve, Singapore’s many stakeholders are actively involved in ensuring that its frameworks remain robust and relevant to modern legal practice. Perhaps uniquely, the regulation of Singapore’s legal industry is a continual collaborative effort between the courts, the profession and the government.
It is therefore with great pleasure that the Singapore Ministry of Law and the Law Society of Singapore invite members and prospective members of the ICLR to the 6th edition of the Conference in Singapore on 5 and 6 October 2017. For programme or registration details please visit the Singapore ICLR 2017 website.
Washington, DC, United States of America | 14-17 September 2016 | A World of Regulation
Hosted by the Office of Disciplinary Counsel in Washington, DC, the 2016 conference focused on the core functions performed by legal regulators, and issues on the horizon.
Full ICLR conference program and biographies
The JW Marriott hotel, in the heart of DC’s tourist district at 1331 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW.
Toronto, Canada | 27–28 July 2015 | Building Blocks to Better Regulation
ICLR 2015 Conference Program
The 4th International Conference of Legal Regulators focused on the needs of legal regulators in a rapidly shifting legal services market. Topics included:
- Lawyer Trust Accounts: Is there a Better System?
- Lessons Learned from Canada’s Indian Residential Schools Settlement Agreement Process
- Competence Initiative: Beyond CPD
- Lawyers on the Edge: Licensure and the Impaired Professional
- In an Ever Expanding Universe of Legal Services What is the Future of Legal Regulation?
- ABS, Entity Regulation and Proactive Regulation Update
- Burning Issues for Legal Regulators
- What Can We Expect from the United States?
- Building a Regulator (a “how-to” workshop)
- Building and Maintaining Credibility with the Public – How to Maintain Public Confidence in a Consumer Driven Environment
- International Cooperation and Information Sharing
This event has closed, but you can see the presentation materials on the 2015 conference website.
London, UK | 8–9 July 2014
ICLR 2014 Conference Program
- entity regulation
- outcomes-focused regulation
- non-lawyer ownership of legal practices
- the influence of new technology
- how to shape the lawyers of the future
San Francisco, USA | 5–7 August 2013
- What powers do I need to be an effective regulator of legal services?
- Risk based regulation
- The role of intelligence and investigation in legal regulation
- Fitness to practice, regulatory responses and cooperating with representative bodies
- Keeping lawyers equipped for practice
- The challenges of dual qualification
- The changing purpose and goals of attorney regulation – experience from outside the USA
London, UK | 27–28 September 2012
- Regulating the Changing Legal Market
- The Regulator’s Identity Crisis
- Proactive Regulation
- Competence on Admission
- Tools for setting and monitoring standards
- Raising the standard of individuals practitioners
- Regulating law firms
- When Things Go Wrong
- Non-Lawyer Involvement in the Delivery of Legal Services
- Information Sharing – What Can Regulators Tell Each Other?
- Hot Topics – What Trends and Issues Worry Regulators?
- Other Influences on Regulatory Policy and Practice
- Where next? Future Collaboration
Read the ICLR programme 2012
Members of the ICLR can log in for more conference materials